I am so thankful for the opportunity and the blessing of homeschooling my children. However, like any family we also have our tough days. We have the days I feel like I can’t do it all. We have the days where the children are fighting with each other. We have days where decimals seem like they are going to get the best of us. On those days I find that it is so very beneficial to remember all the reasons that I am thankful we homeschool.
Our family has many reasons, including wanting to put God first in our lives, teaching true American history, family time, and the time freedom. I asked homeschool moms on my Facebook page and in our Schoolin’ Swag Facebook group to share with me the reasons they were thankful to homeschool. Some of them I have shared word for word and others I combined because multiple moms shared similar reasons. It is my prayer that when you are having a tough day or if you are considering making the switch to homeschooling, that these reasons would be an encouragement to you.
Take a few minutes with a hot cup of coffee or a cold drink of lemonade (or my personal favorite chocolate milk), read over this list and reflect on all the reasons to be thankful we can homeschool our children. If you have other reasons, I would love to have you share them with me in the comments.
- Witness every ‘first’
- To raise them according to God’s word.
- I love spending time with my kids.
- Fun field trips
- Learning more about life on a daily basis.
- I’m thankful my husband & I get to be a bigger influence in our children’s lives than strangers who don’t share our family’s values. ❤️
- No more bullying at school.
- One big blessing(among so many) is seeing how close my children are to each other.
- I’m thankful for the time to get to really know them.
- I’m thankful for being able to cater to each individual way my child learns.
- I’m thankful I was able to instill a love of reading in two kiddos.
- I’m getting to build a strong relationship with my son.
- He learns at his pace, not the systems pace!
- I was glad I had spent EVERY MINUTE of him in his childhood ~ IT GOES SO FAST! (From a mom whose oldest is in college)
- I love the fact that we can school outside when the weather is appropriate.
- We can also school year round and take vacation days when we want to, not when scheduled for us.
- As homeschoolers my children have learned to get along with people of all ages.
- I don’t have a bunch of unteaching to do like I would have to if they attended school
- I can teach them the whole American history story.
- I can teach them what the Bible has to say in regards to science, philosophy, humanity, religions, etc.
- Kids can spend more time studying in detail the subjects they are interested in.
- “It means when my 13-year-old son told me he would finish his project in a fortnight his comment had everything to do with the great books he’s reading and nothing to do with a video game.“
- The life learning that happens.
- The uniqueness of my children’s personalities was allowed to blossom.
- They get more sleep and more unstructured time.
- ” As a mom of 6 with Multiple Sclerosis I couldn’t imagine schooling my kids in any other way. It provides the freedom we need, while we figure out structure with flexibility.”
- It is awesome to learn new things together.
- Have time for “extra” things like starting a garden together.
- We can read books together on topics that aren’t typically school subjects.
- They can learn to handle firearms and shoot safely without punishment for having a firearm.
- Siblings in different grades can learn together rather than rarely seeing each other throughout the day.
- We can take vacations as a family without working around school schedules.
- We have greater flexibility in scheduling medical and dental appointments.
- An older student can tutor a younger friend in a subject during a regular school day.
- We have a school holiday on birthdays.
- Early risers can start school while others are sleeping.
- We can eat breakfast together at a decent hour.
- We wanted our children to know us.
- We can go on nature walks together and notice details of the world around us.
- We can have long conversations about things that are side bars of a lesson and wind up having a completely unexpected lesson.
- All the coffee and like minded mommas out there.
- I’ve been learning all these years! I’m smarter now than I was 21 years ago when we started hs’ing
- I love that we can learn so many subjects from a Christian worldview and really discuss what we are learning.
- I love that when my child doesn’t understand a concept in math, we can stop and really focus on hands-on learning for as long as we need to until he gets it.
- I know they are safe (where they are, what they’re doing, who they’re with, no peer pressure).
- A hike in the mountains, baking cookies, building a fort, growing a garden, etc can be packed with lessons you can’t learn in a book.
- Mornings are less stressful.
- I don’t want my kids to fall through the cracks of the education system.
- We can let them have a say in their education.
- I’m grateful for how it’s forced my family into deeper relationship, better communication, and more learning for all of us! -Beth of Fit2B
Be encouraged today that this hard work you are doing is totally worth the hard work and the difficult days! You are not alone and it does get easier.
Resource Library and Affiliate Disclosure
When you sign up for the Schoolin’ Swag free resource library you will get a link and password to the library, we are adding to the library each month with new items. You will also get a bi-weekly newsletter email to keep you up to date on what we have going on.
This post may contain affiliate or referral links, including Amazon affiliate links. As always I will never recommend a product that I don’t believe in and you will never be charged more for purchasing through our links. It does help pay for the costs associated with the blog.
Deals and Freebies
Schoolhouse Teachers is also offering a great sale! If you want to give it a try, your first month is only $1 or you can get an entire year for $111. My daughter is getting ready to use a photography class from our subscription to help her learn more about her new (to her) camera.
Free Makeover Your Morning 5 Day Challenge! This is a great way to help re-focus and get your day off on the right foot.
Harry The Happy Mouse (Free on Kindle)
Illustrated Would You Rather Book (Free on Kindle)